Monday, January 14, 2008

unified shadows


The first one is obviously an inked line drawing. I did india ink on top of light-blue pencil (sharpened often whilst drawing) and used a medium-sized nib. The tape-mark you see hanging off the side of it with a dot is my vanishing point. You can approximate where your off-paper vanishing point is or you can just add it with tape(giving you a larger workspace that the paper allows).

I didn't take a picture of the middle stage... but

I then added a blue/grey mid-tone shadow level. ever object in this piece that had a shadow was first treated with blue/grey (the blue/grey tone I used for everything was left un-altered on the rocket's body) I then come on top of the shadow layer with the color layer- and then finally highlights and nit-picks, and its done- pretty easy.

I really cant recommend enough giving your watercolor/painting a unified shadow- at least a light one, so you can define the light-source and it links all the colorwork later on- even if the original shadow-work becomes lost in the later-added colors, you still have an underlying unity not found if you added the shadows independent of one-another.

No comments: