Monday, June 25, 2007



the biggest difference between my work now, and my work a year or so ago is that I can actually sit down and feel confident enough to draw completed figures. At least in clothing (clothing allows a larger degree of error in form-while still looking believable... nude forms are a much greater challenge).

You can see my underlying pencils- with inks on top. The pencils are loose and crazy while the inks simply make the general form on top of these. I build the form with various loose sketches in a sketchbook. Then after I have 8 or so poses I like (and after viewing the Saving Private Ryan omaha beach landing on youtube 8 times) I put the paper down and make some big lines with the ruler and by hand. These are for perspective. Then I grab the figures and do big oens and small oens to reate depth and throw my guys on the page. Then using disposable pens by Copic, I ink over the pencils. This is all directly on the same sheet (whereas with most comics I use a light-box to 'trace' my pencils with ink).

The process is very hands-on and a little more messy than usual- but the 'history' and framework of how the drawing came to be is all still visible in the final work. Thats why I don't wanna sell the originals for THAT cheap, altho these days I cant justify asking for more than 50$ considering who I am up against. So im prolly not going to be able to let any of these big inks go for a sellable price... ah well thats why i work.

No comments: